Addison County State's Attorney

2 Maple Street, Unit #3, The Marbleworks,  Middlebury, Vermont  05753
Telephone 388- 7931     Fax   388- 4617

NOTICE:  John Quinn will be retiring on August 31, 2009.  We will have information on his replacement as soon as it becomes available.  Thanks!

         -- webmaster


John T. Quinn, Addison County States' Attorney

Hi, and thanks for visiting our Web Page...

My name is John Quinn, and I have been the Addison County State's Attorney since 1985.  I worked as a Deputy State's Attorney in this office from 1978 to 1985.
I was raised in Vergennes and graduated from Vergennes Union High School in 1968.  I graduated from St. Michael's College in 1972 and Albany Law School in 1975.  I practiced law in Woodstock, Vermont for a couple of years before coming back to Middlebury.   I am married to Maggie Quinn and reside with Maggie and our two cats in Weybridge, Vermont. 
My hobbies include playing guitar and flying.

I am very proud of the job that we do to keep Addison County one of the safest places to live in the entire United States.  My office was recently rated as #1 in Vermont with the highest conviction percentage in domestic violence cases.  I pledge to do all that I can to continue to make this county one of the greatest places to raise our families and enjoy the freedoms that we cherish.

I am proud of my staff, and invite the citizens of our community to read more about them.
We have also provided a section on Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's) for Teens.

If you have a question about criminal law, crime, or anything else related to our office, please feel free to contact us or send us an EMAIL.  We would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Chris Perkett, Deputy State's Attorney

Hi there! My name is Chris Perkett, and I am the Deputy State's Attorney for Addison County. I was raised in South Burlington Vermont and graduated from South Burlington High School in 1988. I graduated from UVM in 1992 and Syracuse University College of Law in 1996.

After graduating, I decided to head out west to Oregon to start practicing law. I worked for two different prosecutors in the three and a half years I stayed out there; first for the Klamath County District Attorney as a domestic violence prosecutor, then as a Deputy District Attorney in Umatilla County, Oregon. After nearly four years, I moved back to Vermont to be closer to my family and live in my home state again. I also worked for a bit in private practice.

As Deputy State's Attorney I assist our Stateís Attorney John Quinn with the prosecution of all criminal acts committed in Addison County. For me, this means being involved with all aspects of a criminal case, from the time a police report is received through to representing the State at trial, even responding to and arguing appeals in the Vermont Supreme Court. Itís a challenging job, but one that I love and that my experience has trained me well for.

When Iím not working, I enjoy sailing on the lake, horseback riding, hiking, downhill skiing at the Snow Bowl or sitting down with a good book.

Iím proud to be a member of our law enforcement team that consists of more than seven different agencies, every one dedicated to keeping our communities safe. I look forward each day to fulfilling the oath I took when becoming a Deputy Stateís Attorney: to prosecute with equal right and justice to all men and women accused of crimes in Addison County.

Our Staff

Debra James
Victim Assistant
Marci Mends
Pamela L. Correia

Click to return to the top of this page

Debra James
Victim Assistant

     Hello!  I am the Victim Assistant for Addison County.  I've held this position since April 1999.        Some of the services I provide to victims of reported crimes are:

  • To relay information to the State's Attorney to help in formulating
    conditions of release and plea agreements.

  • To offer referrals for counseling needs.

  • To obtain information for restitution for any uninsured losses incurred as a result of crime.

  • To notify victims of court dates, court proceedings, and to help them prepare statements to be read at sentencing.

  • To prepare them for and accompany them to court to testify or to give depositions, and to refer them to the resources and programs that will help put their lives back together.

     I enjoy working with local law enforcement and service providers on cases.  I am a member of the Domestic Violence Task Force, the Sexual Abuse,Treatment Team and the Sexual Abuse Response Team.

It is very rewarding to be able to help a victim understand what is going on in court.  Victims are grateful for the contact, the right to be heard, and for consideration of their views on matters that have greatly impacted their lives.

Being a Victim Assistant has influenced my life in many possible ways, and I hope I am able to give to these people as much as some of them have given to me -- strength, perseverance and a positive outlook on the future.

     When I'm not at work, I enjoy gardening, cross-country skiing, tennis and hand-stamping greeting cards.  My husband and I have two children and live the "good farm life" here in Addison County.

      If you have questions about the court process for victims, please feel free to contact me.

Click to return to the top of this page

Pamela L. Correia

Hi. My name is Pam Correia. I joined the staff of the Addison County State's Attorneys Office in May of 2004. I have found it a real pleasure to work in this office. I am a 1986 graduate from Middlebury Union High School and received a degree from Champlain College in 1989.

I am truly a country girl . I was brought up in Bridport, VT and spent a lot of time on my grandparents farm. Later, I crossed the town line and moved to Addison, VT with my husband, Jeff, of 14 years who is a partner in the family farm. Together we have two wonderful children.

In my spare time, I enjoy catching a good movie, scrapbooking and stamping, baking, horseback riding, and most of all spending it with my family.

Click to return to the top of this page


Marci Mends
Administrative Secretary

Pamela L. Correia

Along with the two attorneys and victim advocate, the State's Attorneys Office also employs two support secretaries.  Marci and Pam bring to the office many years of secretarial experience.

Marci and Pam's primary responsibility is case management, from logging in the cases as they are received from the seven law enforcement agencies that fall within our jurisdiction to managing the files after they have been closed, and all the many stages in between.  Marci and Pam also schedule all the meetings & depositions, and see that witnesses are subpoenaed for hearing in court.


Click to return to the top of this page

Frequently Asked Questions (for teens)

What's the new smoking law all about?

The new tobacco law imposes a $25.00 fine on any person under the age of 18 who possess tobacco products and a $50.00 fine on anyone who misrepresents their age in an attempt to obtain tobacco products.   The fine must be paid within 60 days or the person's driver's license will be suspended.  If they don't have a driver's license, their right to get a driver's license will be suspended for one year.  A person who furnishes tobacco products to a person under 18 can be fined $100 for the first offense and $500 for any second offense.   Tobacco products include snuff or chewing tobacco.

Do the police have to see you committing a crime before you can be convicted?

Any citizen can report a crime. If you see someone breaking the law and you are willing to give a statement and testify in court, the the State's Attorney can charge someone with a crime.

Criminals often rely on the belief that citizens do not want to get involved and will boldly commit crimes in front of other people.  Some people fear that the person whom they report will seek revenge, but we always ask the court for an order which prevents the defendant from having any contact with the witness.  If the defendant tried to contact the witness, the defendant could be charged with another crime of violating the court's order.

My 15 year old girlfriend wants to have sex, is it okay as long as we both consent?

Engaging in a sexual act with anyone under the age of 16 is a serious crime in Vermont.   The crime is called statutory rape and it does not matter that your girlfriend consents.  Under Vermont law, a person under the age of 16 is not allowed to consent to sexual activity.  If you girlfriend's parents find out they could report you to the police.  One young man was prosecuted for statutory rape after he convinced his 15 year old girlfriend to have sex and then broke up with her the same night!  She reported him to the police.

What happens to someone who is underage and is caught drinking alcohol?

Possession or consumption of alcohol by a minor is a crime which carries a possible penalty of 30 days in jail or a $500 fine.  If it's your first offense you will probably be offered diversion.  Diversion is a program whereby you will be required to do some community service work or engage in alcohol counseling. You are required to meet with the diversion board which is a group of adults from Addison County.  If you complete your contract with Diversion then your case will get dismissed and you will not have a criminal record.  You will be required to pay $125 to go through diversion.

Furnishing alcohol to minors is a more serious offense and carries a possible 2 year jail sentence and a maximum fine of up to $1000.00.  The minimum fine is $200.00.

A friend of mine tried to out-run the police and ended up going to jail.   Do people usually go to jail for trying to get away from the police?

Yes.  Attempting to elude a police officer is a very serious offense.  Judges in Addison County have been sending everyone to jail who tries to out-run the police.   By trying to get away, you are endangering the lives of the people in your car and also the life of the police officer as well as other people driving on the highway.   If the blue lights come on you should pullover and stop.  The ticket you might receive is far better than the 30 days in jail you'll receive for trying to out-run the police!

If I have a party at my house where teenagers drink alcohol, can my parents be charged with a crime?

Yes.  If they know that minors are drinking alcohol at the house and permit the alcohol to be served, then they could be guilty of furnishing alcohol to minors even if they did not buy the alcohol or personally hand it to anyone at the party  A man who allowed his teenage sons to hold a party at the house and helped in parking the cars was found guilty of furnishing alcohol to minors and fined $1000.00.  Your parents should also talk to their lawyer about the possible civil liability that could arise from such a party.

Click to return to the top of this page

Have your seen these people?
check out

Click here to check out the FBI's 10 most wanted!


Want to help take a bite out of crime?
Visit the Addison County Crime Stoppers
by clicking on this bad guy.

YOU can help put criminals behind bars!

Thanks for Visiting the
Addison County State's Attorney's Home Page




This public service page
courtesy of

Return to Middlebury Networks home page & index

Authored by. James A. Peden
Copyright © 1998-2002
Middlebury Networks.
All rights reserved.
Revised: August 19, 2009
Posted April 05, 1998